Friday 6 July 2012

Dark side of the...


Dec 21, 2010
The Eclipse

I had just purchased a telephoto lens.  What opportunity could be better than testing it out by photographing the moon!  I'd never attempted such before, but I stayed up until the eclipse happened, which was I believe 1-2am.  It was really cold, being December...though with the way our winters have been going, it wasn't that bad.  Maybe a couple degrees below zero.  Regardless, I couldn't really wear gloves as it affected the way I could work with the camera, so I kept darting back inside to warm up my hands every few minutes.  The eclipse lasts about an hour so it was a lot of back and forth for a half hour until the moon was fully in shadow.

This was the clearest and best exposed shot that I took that night.  It took a bit of experimenting with the settings until I had them correct.  I had looked up setting examples online earlier that day, to make sure I could adjust correctly when I needed to, having very little experience working with the telephoto lens.  I typically find it pretty easy to adjust my settings now:)  A few years of working strictly with manual settings, even in the most common of photographic situations, has definitely increased my confidence.

I love how you can see all of the craters and shadows on the moon in this shot:)  Overall, I'm happy with the results and hope to find some time again soon to practice taking these types of photos.





No comments:

Post a Comment