Monday 9 July 2012

Alien vs. Maple

 Canon Rebel xs, ISO 200, f 7.1, s 250, 55mm


May 5, 2011
Backyard

I realize I haven't been as professional as I could be, so starting today I'm adding my camera settings as a caption to each photo I display.  I don't have a proper macro lens (yet), but I love taking close-up pictures so a fair amount of my "practice" photo days are spent wandering around either my house or backyard shooting various objects or plants.

This image is from a series I shot of the Japanese Maple tree in our backyard at the time.  We've since moved, and although our backyard is at least 10 times bigger, I do miss that tree sometimes.

It was the beginning of spring, and the leaves were just starting to unfold.  Unfortunately with a regular kit lens, there's only so much detail you can achieve, but I love the way the new leaves glistened in the sun.  The tips of the leaves, how they are furled around each other, also made me imagine an alien mouth with sharp teeth.  I know that a lot of writers and designers achieve inspiration through watching nature in progress, so I'm sure a creepy science fiction story will crawl it's way out of those red jaw-like leaves.

I'll leave you with those thoughts...sweet dreams tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment