Friday 29 June 2012

Another Spin



Like every photographer, I have entirely too many pictures: over 8 years worth of special occasions, vacations, simple gatherings, and of course, my many many artistic endeavors. The purpose for starting this blog is to challenge myself. Every day I will pick one photograph out of my vast collection,  giving myself a maximum of 15 minutes to decide on which photo to choose. Then I will put myself back into the mind that created that image. Where was I? What was I thinking? Or doing? This project will not only help me appreciate why I'm slaving away on trying to build a career out of my passion for imagery, but it will hopefully help people remember moments in their lives where they felt truly in tune with themselves, their surroundings, or their life choices.

Another Spin  - Fall 2009


 The bicycle trick. No matter where you are in the world, there is always going to be somebody on a bike, testing their limits. For fun, competition, or for money, flipping up and spinning around. “Look Ma', NO hands!!” becomes their inner mantra. Or all hands, and no feet. That's what I was thinking when sitting at the sidelines after a long walk through Harajuku Park in Tokyo, Japan. This park has a little bit of everything. There are people of every possible artistic and movement style who gather themselves together to practice, evolve and showcase what they are capable of. Walking through, you may see a classical string band playing, actors rehearsing scenes, dancers choreographing their next steps, tricksters playing for the crowds, or fashionistas simply walking round in their finery and absorbing the attention. Some are simply reading, having picnics, or observing the others. Finally there's the tourists, like ourselves, who marvel at truly being in such a different world to the one we are accustomed, and trying our best not to stare or gawk at everyone.

Sitting there, I began watching a couple of college-aged local bike “stunt-riders in the making” fly up and down the wide pedestrian path, rearing up upon their back tires, and then balancing upon the front while spinning the bike around. I really wanted to capture the movement, as well as their skill. I chose this photo from the series, as I think it truly demonstrates the scene and mood I wished to create.


4 comments:

  1. Awesome, Jeanette! Looking forward to see more of your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mimi:) I figured it was about time to do this, and it will also make me write something every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing shot! Just thought I'd let you know though that, although that park is accessed via Harajuku, it's actually called Yoyogi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh thanks Nat for the clarification:) Very good to know!

    ReplyDelete